"Yes there is frailty, yes there is weakness, but there is courage also and honor to be found in men." Boromir, Lord of The Rings

Sunday, October 14, 2007

CIDER TIME!



October in Michigan. With the exception of New England, is there a better place to spend the fall?? I don't think so!! granted, the colors are not out yet this year, due to the hot September and early October, and i regret not showing that, but they should pop up in future posts. hey, my Birthday celebration is not over yet!!


This part was taken at Ruby Farms in Ruby Michigan (how convenient to put it there) just West of Port Huron ,where I am going in 3 weeks. this is a simple little Mill but to me it is one of the best places to go. It is also a Christmas tree farm where you can go and cut down your own trees just like the old days. To have an old fashioned Christmas means having a natural tree!!



The Cider there is first rate, and made fresh in the morning. They are only open weekends, so they can concentrate on producing this luscious potable during the week. nothing beats going for a ride in the Michigan woods with a glass of hot cider! (well actually a plastic cup.. why they call it a "glass" is beyond me, but I digress) in gorgeous 50 degree crisp weather.



They have other things there too like a carousel, fire engine rides, a Christmas store, haunted house (sorry folks, I just barely got over my fear of clowns, you are not going to get me into a haunted house yet!





You can walk along trails to where the quiet is deafening. Of course I have to walk the whole trail, even the spots where i may or may not be able to go. Fortunately they now have signs as to the limits you can walk.



They have a neat little animal cemetery also. I think it is a fictional cemetery, the animals are not really buried there, but the guide tells me these animals actually existed on the farm ,and met their fate just like the tombstone says.




People watching is fun too over there, as it is anywhere, especially the kids. to me they seem to like the Christmas tree farm. And I do not blame them. I mean if i saw hundreds of Christmas trees lined up in a field, I would get giddy for the season too!


It was a great time and I picked up some Cider to take home on these upcoming chilly evenings!

I really would like to thank my Mom and my Dad (rest in peace, Dad) for arraigning that I be born in October! what a month!! And Thanks to all of you readers and posters for coming along with me on this trip!!
OH BTW I hear that even Charlie Brown got his famous Christmas tree here too!



1 comment:

Marmee said...

What an awesome place!! I want to go now!
Your pictures are really good.
I love blogs where you get to see real life, and you have done a great job with this post.
Keep up the good work