"Yes there is frailty, yes there is weakness, but there is courage also and honor to be found in men." Boromir, Lord of The Rings

Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Tenth Day of Christmas.... All in the Family


To kick start the last three days of My Christmas, I will now move into the realm of personal experience. 3 tales of people I know who have personally been an inspiration to me, not necessarily because they are related to me and that I learned from them, but just who they are, their character traits, and belief systems. First I offer you my Parents and Grandparents.


My Grandparents were old country through and through. Coming over from Poland, they were the antithesis of the polish joke., hard working, intelligent, as far as "street knowledge" goes, and hard working. My Grandmother raised 7 kids, without any kind of government aid, and with only her husband, my Grandfather, working. Yes, you say things were cheaper back then, but then wages were not that much either.


They walked everywhere they needed to go to. All the stores they needed were within good walking distance. they needed wood for the stove?? they chopped it. Needed apples?? they grew them. everything was home made. sewing, cooking. They taught me the value of hard work, and perseverance. they laid down the rules and like my parents, were not afraid to whip their children when they misbehaved. Not to be abusive, hardly. they demanded obedience, but they also knew how to create an environment where obedience was fun, and rewarding. woe to us when we did disobey, but under these conditions, we would be nuts to disobey.


I do not think it was a coincidence when both my Grandparents lived well up into their 80's, and my mom is still with me in her mid 80's. I have no doubts that the traditions of the old country, hard work, firm but loving care, mostly natural and home made foods, a good solid religious upbringing, respect for others, perseverance, and Independence, helped fuel their longevity.

To this day I honor my parents and Grandparents with my belief in hard work, optimism, confidence (which all go together. If you are merely optimistic and confident, well and good, but to get anything done, you need to get your hands dirty and get to work). steadfast religious beliefs, and strong family attitude of honor and respect for my elders, and for the opposite sex.

I fail at times, like they did, and like we all do, but to this second, I stand firm in what I believe in, and I owe it to my own everyday heroes, My parents and grandparents.

Here's to our ancestors... and their children.

No comments: